Welcome to the BioInstrumentation Laboratory
Modern experimental research requires the combination of many traditional disciplines including biology, optics, mechanics, mathematics, electronics and chemistry. The BioInstrumentation Laboratory is uniquely placed to bring together these areas of research with its broad array of students and post doctoral research scientists from diverse fields. In addition, the lab maintains extensive laboratory facilities to allow our researchers to move quickly from a device concept to a prototype and rapidly iterate their designs.
Research at the BioInstrumentation Laboratory includes a number of fields including conducting polymer chemistry, medical devices, wireless instrumentation, and actuator design. See our MIT 150 Anniversary Exhibit.
- Professor Ian Hunter and Dr. Cathy Hogan speak on Needle-free Drug Delivery to Specified Tissue Depths Using a High Performance Lorentz-force Jet Injector, at Cambridge Healthtech Institute's Formulation Strategies for Improved Delivery of Biologics Conference, World Trade Center Boston, May 6, 2014.
- Nick Demas of the Bilab, together with teammates Anton Hunt, Tyler Hamer, and Zaid Zayyad take First Place in the Institute of Soldier Nanotechnologies, Soldier Design Contest, April 29, 2014, for their THOR Tourniquet!
- Jean Chang presented a poster on High Speed X-ray Imaging of Needle-free Jet Injections(Jean Chang et al.), at the 2014 IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging, Beijing, China, April 29, 2014.
- Ellen Yi Chen and Carrie Jiahui Liang awarded First Prize, graduate level, in the 2014 De Florez Awards Competition for their Multi-link Robotic Endoscope System (April 28, 2014).
- Ellen Yi Chen chosen as a recipient of the 2014 NSF Student Travel Grant award to assist attending the 2014 IEEE ICRA conference in Hong Kong, China, June, 2014 (April 28, 2014).
- Dr. Lynette Jones visited Professors Rocco Rizzo and Antonino Musolino in the Department of Engineering for Energy and Systems at the University of Pisa, Italy to work on a collaborative research project involving the application of magneto-rheological fluids to haptic displays (April 27-30, 2014).
- Ellen Yi Chen awarded the DeFlorez Travel Award in Design and Manufacturing toward travel to the 2014 IEEE ICRA conference in Hong Kong, China, June, 2014 (March 4, 2014).
- Congratulations to Eli Paster for earning his Ph.D.! (February 25, 2014)
- Congratulations to Jean Chang for earning her Ph.D.! (November 26, 2013)
- Congratulations to Adam Wahab for earning his Ph.D.! (August 27, 2013)