Welcome to the BioInstrumentation Laboratory
Modern experimental research requires the combination of many traditional disciplines including biology, optics, mechanics, mathematics, electronics and chemistry. The BioInstrumentation Laboratory is uniquely placed to bring together these areas of research with its broad array of students and post doctoral research scientists from diverse fields. In addition, the lab maintains extensive laboratory facilities to allow our researchers to move quickly from a device concept to a prototype and rapidly iterate their designs.
Research at the BioInstrumentation Laboratory includes a number of fields including conducting polymer chemistry, medical devices, wireless instrumentation, and actuator design. See our MIT 150 Anniversary Exhibit.
- Congratulations to Jean Chang for earning her Ph.D.! (November 26, 2013)
- Congratulations to Adam Wahab for earning his Ph.D.! (August 27, 2013)
- Jean Chang selected as a finalist in the Student Paper Competition at the 2013 International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC) for work on Needle-free Interstitial Fluid Acquisition Using a Lorentz-force Actuated Jet Injector (July 4, 2013).
- Ellen Yi Chen and Jillian Oliveira were nominated for Best Paper in Medical Robotics for their work on a Two-Axis Bend Sensor Design, Kinematics and Control for a Continuum Robotic Endoscope at the 2013 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) conference (May 9, 2013).
- Adam Wahab awarded the Wunsch Foundation Silent Hoist and Crane Award for Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant (May 16, 2013).
- Jean Chang awarded the Meredith Kamm Memorial Award for Excellence in a Woman Graduate Student (May 16, 2013).
- Carrie Liang awarded the John C. and Elizabeth J. Chato Award for Excellence in Bioengineering (May 16, 2013).
- Congratulations to Scott McEuen for earning his Ph.D.! (May 7, 2013)
- Paper on Nonlinear Stochastic System Identification of Skin Using Volterra Kernels (Ellen Yi Chen, et al.) published online in Annals of Biomedical Engineering (March 24, 2013).
- Paper on Capturing skin properties from dynamic mechanical analyses (Erika Sandford, et al.) published in Skin Research and Technology (January 2013).